The Assam Education Department has announced that it will not undertake immediate fresh recruitment drives for teachers, opting instead to rationalise existing sanctioned posts to enhance staffing efficiency. This decision comes as teacher recruitment remains on hold, pending the resolution of several cases in the Gauhati High Court, Education Minister Dr. Ranoj Pegu informed the Assam Legislative Assembly on Thursday.

The move signals a strategic shift towards optimising current resources within the state’s education sector, addressing long-standing issues of teacher deployment and declining student enrolment in government schools. Alongside the recruitment freeze, the government has given legislators a one-year window to boost student numbers in schools with fewer than 30 students, before potential mergers are considered.

What was announced

Education Minister Dr. Ranoj Pegu, addressing the Assam Legislative Assembly during its Budget Session on Thursday, July 23, 2026, confirmed that the government has no immediate plans for fresh recruitment of teachers. Instead, the focus will be on rationalising existing sanctioned posts to improve staffing across government and provincialised schools.

Dr. Pegu stated that the recruitment process for Lower Primary (LP) teachers would remain on hold until pending cases before the Gauhati High Court are resolved. “We are contesting the cases before the High Court. Recruitment will be taken up only after the legal issues are settled,” he said.

The Minister also informed the House about a new directive aimed at schools with low student enrolment. Members of the Legislative Assembly (MLAs) have been given one year to increase the student count in schools currently operating with fewer than 30 students. Failure to meet this threshold after the stipulated period could lead to the amalgamation or merger of these institutions.

Additionally, Dr. Pegu announced the merger of the Elementary and Secondary Education departments into a single, unified department. The government is now preparing a common unified management rule to simplify administrative procedures for teachers, he added.

Why it matters

The Education Department’s announcement holds significant implications for Assam’s education landscape, particularly for job aspirants and the operational efficiency of schools. The decision to rationalise existing posts rather than initiate new recruitment aims to address the substantial number of vacant teaching positions through internal adjustments and better deployment.

According to figures presented by Minister Pegu in the Assembly earlier this month, over 30,000 teaching posts are currently vacant across government and provincialised schools in the state. This includes 11,662 assistant teachers in Lower Primary schools and 7,139 in Upper Primary schools. The total sanctioned strength of teaching posts stands at 1,54,078.

The policy of rationalisation and potential mergers for schools with low enrolment is a direct response to a significant decline in student numbers in government institutions. Between the 2016-17 and 2025-26 academic sessions, enrolment in government and provincialised schools dropped by more than 7.35 lakh students. In contrast, private schools saw an increase of nearly 9.41 lakh students during the same period. This shift has resulted in 3,031 single-teacher schools across Assam, posing challenges to quality education.

The one-year window for MLAs to improve enrolment is seen as a final opportunity to save these schools from amalgamation, which the government says is necessary for optimal resource utilisation and to address the problem of single-teacher institutions.

Background

The current reforms are part of a broader, ongoing effort by the Assam government to streamline its education system. The policy of amalgamating schools with low enrolment is not new, with the Minister noting that the provision for merging schools with fewer than 30 students was based on legislation enacted during a previous Congress government.

Between 2016 and 2026, approximately 7,380 schools were amalgamated across the state. Of these, 2,639 schools were merged during 2017-18, and nearly 1,000 schools were amalgamated between 2021 and 2026. The objective behind these mergers has consistently been to rationalise educational infrastructure rather than to shut down institutions, particularly in areas where multiple schools exist in close proximity.

The issue of teacher recruitment has been fraught with legal challenges. Earlier attempts to provincialise schools through a 2011 law were struck down by the High Court, leading to the enactment of the Assam Education (Provincialisation of Services) Act, 2017, under which large-scale provincialisation has since taken place. Several court cases continue to impact recruitment drives, including those related to the validation of 18-month Diploma in Elementary Education (D.El.Ed) qualifications from the National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) for assistant teacher positions.

Earlier this year, in February 2026, Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma had announced a massive recruitment drive for 75,000 teacher and lecturer posts. However, the Education Minister’s latest statement clarifies that immediate fresh recruitment is not on the cards, with the focus shifting to rationalisation and resolution of legal hurdles.

In a related development, the Assam government also moved to permanently retain all teaching and non-teaching posts that were established under the Assam Venture Educational Institutions (Provincialisation of Services) Act, 2011, and its 2013 amendment, for provincialised colleges. This decision, following a Cabinet meeting on July 10, 2026, aims to ensure consistent staffing mechanisms and clarifies that these posts are permanent fixtures, not personal appointments.

Key details

The Education Minister, Dr. Ranoj Pegu, has shared a list of schools with fewer than 30 students with the MLAs. He indicated that the government would allow a one-year period for legislators to work towards increasing enrolment in these identified schools. If enrolment does not improve above the 30-student threshold within this timeframe, the government will proceed with amalgamation.

The ongoing legal challenges primarily affect the recruitment of Lower Primary teachers. One such case, heard by the Gauhati High Court in June 2025, involved a directive to keep the results of document verification in abeyance for candidates with 18-month NIOS D.El.Ed qualifications for 5,500 Assistant Teacher positions. Another writ petition, heard in 2025, challenged the Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for the upgradation of Assistant Teachers to Head Teachers in Lower Primary Schools, with the court directing a status quo until August 14, 2025. Further cases related to TET Cum Recruitment 2025 also continue before the High Court.

What’s next

The immediate next steps involve the resolution of the pending cases in the Gauhati High Court, which is crucial for unblocking teacher recruitment, particularly for Lower Primary schools. The Education Department will continue to contest these cases.

Legislators are expected to actively work within their constituencies over the next one year to increase student enrolment in schools identified with fewer than 30 students. The government will monitor the progress of these schools, and those failing to meet the enrolment target will face amalgamation.

The newly merged Elementary and Secondary Education departments will also focus on preparing and implementing a common unified management rule, aiming to simplify administrative procedures for teachers across the state.

Sources & References

Source: Assam Education Department Announcement and Assembly Proceedings